Tuesday 12 December 2023

Phantom, Requiem for the Phantom Review

Overall Rating 7.4 out of 10 - Very good show of a higher caliber, but with some flaws.

I recommend watching.

This one is one of better shows out there. It could have been even better, but it was probably Urobuchi first work, so some imperfections here and there are visible. On the other hand, this show sometimes feels like a sort of personal testimony or autobiography. If that is true, I do wonder what role did Urobuchi himself played: Zwei, Scythe?

The show is divided into three arks. Middle one seems the best written. Both the beginning and the end has too much self-loathing. I understand that a person might feel guilt for killing others, but why it has to be repeated in nearly every episode.

Aside from that, it is rather unclear why Reiji would not just kill Scythe and run away in the very beginning, that is after he completed his training. Escaping training camp could be physically impossible, but once he starts doing missions, nothing would stop him from turning on Scythe and Inferno.

Most annoying part of the first ark is the Scythe and his arrogant attitude. Somehow his simultaneously relaxed, but cold and cruel approach reminds me of my dad. It gives me satisfaction that he is killed in the final episode of the show.

Middle part has the most cohesive plot. Early operations were brazened and bold, but hardly that sophisticated. Scythe ruining the deal between Inferno and Godoh and suspicion it arises on both sides was the best written overall. The intrigue continues till the very end.

The final part is somewhat mixed. On one side it is the epilogue and a reflection on their whole experience. Reiji and Elen want to live normal school life and blend with normality. A decision I would not made in their place, I personally would like to take McGuire's place. However, I can understand them.

Cal's revenge feels the most confusing of them all. Did she wish to duel Reiji fairly or just wished to be killed by him? Considering she is an assassin; she could have just killed both of them quietly. Cal is somewhat hard for me to understand.


As for the characters then, as much as I hate Scythe personally, I do share his taste in women. I like my women like phantoms. I wonder if it is indeed possible to create a band of female assassins just like number-chans in white. Also, I liked to original Ein/Elen somewhat more than her final self.

Overall Ein/Elen is very likable girl, the kind that I like.

Reiji is sympathetic enough and somewhat relatable. His attachments to Ein and desire to save her also makes sense. So, is his desire to kill Scythe.

Cal is somewhat bitter/sweet, at times she is sweet as pie and at others she causes problems. On the other hand, I can understand her anger at Mio for having a better life than she did.

Mio herself is actually nice likable girl, waifu material. I wonder if all mafia daughters are this nice, still the whole mafia retaliation is not worth the risk.

I can understand Clau's ambitions to get to the top, but I am not attracted to ambitions women.


Overall, this is a well written show with complex characters and psychological depth. Plot is also interesting and will keep you engaged for the half of the show, the other half is much slower.

This is not some other One Piece, Boruto or Hairy Fail. This is a real deal.

So, I recommend watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment